Join me aboard the Black Dog 3 (BD3), a spacious 28’ center-console boat made by Whitewater of Miami. The Black Dog 3 is powered by twin 200 HP Yamaha 4-stroke engines and was designed to get to the fishing grounds fast and safely.
Boat Features Include:
- Ample fishing room for 4 anglers depending on the make-up of the group and the desired trip.
- Recently added is the Rhodan Electric Trolling motor used to electronically position the boat over the fishing spots with no need to anchor This saves a substantial amount of time that is spent fishing, not hassling with an anchor.
- Generous storage capacity including a cuddy cabin to store any items you want to bring along.
- V-Berth Cabin for escape from unexpected weather or for the kids to have a place to relax.
- Large Yeti cooler for food and drinks. (Water included on trip.)
The BD3 was built for off-shore fishing, but with bean bag chairs and a removable bench, it makes for comfortable cruising for you and a group of friends to a location of your choice. Sightseeing, eco tours or water excursion are offered year-round.
A question usually asked is: “Is there a bathroom”? On small fishing boats, bathrooms are crude and BD3 is no different. The center console opens and has enough room to climb inside for some privacy with our port-a-potty. The BD3 also is equipped with both a fresh water wash down and a raw water washdown if needed.
Most boats going out of Mayport for hire are bay or flats boats. These boats are shallow draft boats that are built to run up river and fish in the shallow flats with changing tides. BD3 is a larger boat with a deep v hull that slices through waves and can safely navigate the inlet and off-shore swells as well as the river.
The BD3 has a high gunnel, meaning that as a passenger, you are “in the boat” as opposed to “on the boat.” This is much safer than the bay boats and flats boats that many captains are using now. The only limitation for BD3 is the inability to run up into small, shallow creeks and fish using an electric trolling motor. Many times, weather conditions change while you are off-shore. The propensity for this to happen keeps the flat and bay boats very close to home and frequently cuts charters short. The BD3’s large center console can safely handle changing seas and weather conditions.
The BD3 is fitted with the latest electronics including:
- Garmin Radar, Simrad Auto Pilot and Garmin GPS navigation with the latest mapping software.
- Garmin Sonar with duel frequency transmission for great images of the depth and bottom contours.
- A meteor stereo system for music lovers.
- VHF radio and a handheld back-up radio
- Life Boat – 6-man USCG approved
- Life preservers for adults and children
- Garmin satellite phone
- First Aid Kit
- Down riggers
- Light and heavy rods and reels
- Nets and gaffs
- Live well
- Sebiki rod
- Cast nets
- Coffin box
- Rhodan trolling motor with GPS for electronic anchoring
If you choose you may bring your own fishing tackle.